Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I Spy With My Little Eye

I’d consider myself a very ‘observational’ person. As a kid, this was probably more correctly labelled as ‘nosey’, but as an adult I’ll simply say that I’m just observant.

There seems to be a lot of negative news, down trodden spirits and just tired and worn out people at the moment. Every day Matt and I have been finding ourselves met with sad conversations or just people who have forgotten how to smile. Call it the time of year, blame it on winter, or say that it’s the end of school term. Whatever the reason, it sort of gets to you after a while. Matt so rightly reflected a couple days ago that it was just starting to get him down.

What good is being observational if all you observe is sad, heart wrenching or stressful? There may be a more than the usual stressors and difficulties around at the moment...but perhaps part of the problem is that it’s just so much easier to get caught up in the negative, then to allow our eyes to capture the beautiful and optimistic moments. I’m sure that they are there, despite how cold it is outside, or that it’s week 10 of the school term. It’s just time to start looking for them.

So...I will reflect on the good news and smile worthy moments of the past week or so...

- Two different sets of friends have received a happy and healthy baby. Thank God for new life!

- I spent my lunch hour at the primary school I work at on Mondays playing ‘what time is it Mr Wolf’ with a dozen preps who all seem to have much bigger feet then myself as they always ended up at the wolf before me.

- I watched my husband and his team win their basketball grand final, and then receive free pies to celebrate from the man who owns the petrol station where they hang out for a drink and chat after games.

- I talked to my sister for 2 hours who has just recently returned to Canada from Haiti. And despite her being half asleep by the end of it, thoroughly enjoyed the catch up and entertaining stories.

- I had a lovely dinner at the in-laws, and feel very blessed to know that even though my family is just so far away, I still have people who love spending time with me (and feeding me!)

- I got to hang out with 40 children, parents, leaders and others from our Reservoir community for Family Squads. It was pretty much chaos...but the good kind that you can only get when running programs in Reservoir.

- Played the most intense and vicious (I didn’t cheat I swear...) game of Pit that I have ever seen! But more importantly spent that night with some very lovely people to celebrate Darryn’s birthday.

- Enjoyed the company of my best friend and partner over the weekend as we had time to stay in bed until noon, have a walk in the sunshine, and enjoy a brunch of delicious French toast.

Well, I have to say...I now have a smile on my face and am feeling the most positive that I have felt in a while. Just because I took a few minutes to think of the highlights of my past week.

Happy glasses are now on...and I will be on the lookout for more ‘magic moments’.

What’s yours?

2 comments:

The @ said...

:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your are starting your own book of a Million awesome things ...

Some of my favourite moments this week:

watching a 54 year old who told me a month ago he can't read, read in group therapy something he's been practising and watching his face absolutely beam as his group members cheered and clapped for him

sharing a barbq with many people and listening to someone i once knew as very broken (living on the streets) sharing about his life, his passions, his gratitude for a Loving God

missing my kidlets daily, but so grateful for all their passions for life, love and God .. living their dreams .....

working a holiday by choice .... spending time with people who don't have somewhere to go but enjoying the laughter, sunshine and sharing ... feeling priviledged

watching Aha moments daily for so many people and being blessed and grateful to witness ...

being able to give my boss words of encouragement and a hug .. because she needs it

watching melody sit in the rocking chair and Logan jumping onto the seat just as she sat down .. ooooooo my stars .. so funny ... he didn't mind, but can she ever move .. lol

trying to make roses in cake decorating class ... and since i did them green ... being the only person in class to make green cabbages (looks like that to me)

thanks for the smiles love

love
mum