Monday, June 26, 2006

My Three Amigos

I've been thinking the past couple of days about my family, and what they mean to me. I guess being on the other side of the world for 6 months is an easy way to learn to appreciate some things you might take for granted when you're used to having them in your every day life. I'm also just really really excited that my mum is going to be here in 15 days, and can't wait to see her!

I thought though, that I might write a blog dedicated my three beautiful siblings. We've always said that no matter what might happen, or where we might go, we'll always be close and there for each other...and I've definitely felt that since I've been in Australia! So I thought I'd take a minute to attempt some words of appreciation for my brother and sisters...

Donna. My sister with the gift of gab. My basement roomy. You have always had this amazing ability to just know me, without me having to explain anything. You could always finish my sentence of "I have a crush on..." before I had to tell you who. And you always knew if I was in a crummy mood or not having a very good day, just by what music I put on when I went into my room. I always know that if I need something, even if it's not a very big "need"...you'll go above and beyond to try and make it happen. I think you're easily the most selfless out of the four of us...always willing to do a favour, or willing to try to help with finding something, or you'd pick up something random on your way home from work...just to make someone smile. I think I've gotten to talk to you the least while I've been away...especially now that you're off being a hippee and tree planting out west...which has definitely been hard since for the last several years I've had your listening ear and encouraging words at my disposal whenever I needed it, and even when I didn't. I just want you to know that I am so proud of you. Your life plans change nearly on a monthly basis...but you always accomplish what you set out to do. You're full on in your nursing schooling now, which I know you're going to make an amazing career out of. And every day that you're out west planting those trees, I just grow more and more astonished at your incredible strength and might...and get so excited to see how God is going to use that to just change the world.

Dionne. My sister with the gift of sweetness, and a personality that everyone falls in love with. The "mum" out of the four of us...the one with the cooking, sewing, and scrapbooking abilities (and no I'm not teasing Di, I actually do appreciate these talents in you!) I think out of anyone I'm related to..we've had the best fights. I guess it's just that stubborn red-headed gene that we've both got. But no matter what silly argument we had...I always knew that it'd work out okay. You never held a grudge, or came back 2 hours later to continue on the same issue...but you know how to let things go, and only cling to what was important. We used to think that we could never share a room...due to the fact we are opposites on the "cleanliness" scale, amoung other reasons. BUT...we learned that was a lie, and I had an incredible week of being your roomy at Territorial in August last year. I was so glad to have that week of hanging out with you, and just journeying through a lot of "God" stuff that we both worked through that week. And it's always good times when we're both beyond tired....and have to help someone move...and attempt to carry a fish tank down 3 flights of stairs...and then in a car...only to have you kill the poor fish 2 days later. You're my sister with a beautiful smile, a kind heart, and a real love and patience for those people in our lives that others might label off as "annoying." I am so proud of you for perservering through to become a graduate in your ECE program. You've got so many incredible strengths and talents Di..don't ever forget that. I'm so proud of you for all that you've struggled through in various aspects over the past couple of years, and have just come out on top of. God's got such a beautiful plan for you!

Bradley. My little bro. My protector. I remember coming down the stairs the night I was going to my semi-formal in grade 11. I came down just in time to hear you, at 11 years old, telling my date that he better have me home at a decent hour, and treat me right....or else. You're the most like me out of the family (sorry if that's a bad thing!) I know Di, Donna and I had it out for you right from the get-go when we informed mum that if she had a boy, we were throwing him out the window. And I guess there were a lot of times it was a struggle...and honestly, it's beyond me how you survived your childhood with the three of us, and Jocelyn, terrorizing you (well I guess you terrorized us too...). But I've always appreciated our talks bud...and anytime we were hanging out. Whether that was when you were still in a crib and I was forced to share a room with you...or when you were still small enough for me to wrestle you to the ground despite all your attempts to fight back...or when you're hiding out somewhere and I seem to be the only one who is able to find you. But I think I appreciate our talks more then anything now that I'm away...getting to hear you play your newest learnt song on the guitar over the phone, or seeing ridiculous photos of you in a rasta hat, or hearing all about your night out at prom. Every day I'm so impressed with how smart you are, how mature you are, and how many "big questions" you take on as a challenge and try to work through. You have such a huge heart of gold Bradley...you're an absolutely genuine guy, who is so selfless and cares so much for everyone around you. You have such a better grasp on life then I did at 17, and I am so thankful for how amazing you have turned out.

Thank you to all three of you...for all the laughs, for the fights, for the memories, for always being there, for being my pillars of strength, for your listening ears, for knowing me better then anyone in this world and loving me anyways...and for just being you. God has blessed me abundantly...and I'm one very lucky oldest sister.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You four have always amazed your dad and I. How can 4 people be so different from one set of gene pool.

Your strengths, passions, love of life are so incredible and so very different.

You are all such amazing gifts from God. You are all so comfortable in your own skin. Your dad and I are always amazed at your strengths, confidence and ideas.

We tried to teach you to think outside the box and how to fly but OOOOOOO my who expected this.

You are four very precious gifts from God and He is indeed proud of you.

Love you beyond anything you guys could imagine.

Muah xoxoxo
Mommy

Anonymous said...

Essie...first off...you are the coolest older sis anyone could have asked for! Ya, we did have our fights, but it definatly made us who we are today and helped shape our great relashionship! I'm so glad that I can say that my siblings are also my friends and that we get along so well (despite our various differences).

One thing I always think is funny is that on any given day each one of us will be wearing very different clothing...one dressy, one in sweats, one in tank top and shorts the other in sweater and pants. I love how different we are, but I love even more that we can love each other and God so much together!

Thank you for your greatness!! :D I love you and miss you greatly!
MUAH XOXO!!

Ian said...

Hey Esther (and whoever else reads this). I know it really isn't my place to comment on a blog that has nothing to do with anything that people not in your family woul dhave a need to comment on, but i thought i would anyway, i hope you dont mind. Tonight when i went to say goodnight to Di she said, 'it better be important cuz i'm reading my sis's blog about me.' And after i heard that i thought, hmmm.
So i opened Donna's blog. Not quite what i was expecting, read through the whole thing but nothing about Dionne, so i turned to esthers blog, and honestly, reading what you had to say about your siblings brought tears to me eyes.
Pause. Anyone who's wondering what i'm talking about, i'll tell you. Don't think i'm wierd, please.
You see, Esther, i've never really had a close knit relationship with my siblings that you have. Actually, the opposite. I talk to my siblings on the phone from time to time but nothing too extraordinary. And just reading the amazing words you had to say about your siblings, well, it really hit me. And i don't really know where i'm going with this except i'm glad you felt like writing this blog. Never underappreaciate what you got Esther (Di, Do, and B-rad), because some people just don't have anything quite so amazing. You are all amazing and i thank God right now that he has blessed your family and made you such close siblings. Anyway i'm done babbling now. I could have gone into more details but if you're reading this you probably know most of it anyway. Yea. Cool. You guys are awesome, 4 of the craziest but most amazing siblings to each other i've ever met. God Bless y'all.

Anonymous said...

Dear Esther:

The sketches of your siblings are masterpieces - so positive, so complementary, so insightful and just right in my books.

We have made a copy and will keep them around especially for when the opportunity comes to discuss their sketch with each in person. e,g, During Donna's visit to our place in August. G & G H, B.C.

Rochelle said...

Esther - what a beautiful tribute! Siblings are definitely a gift from God, and I think as we grow older we appreciate them more. I love your grateful spirit. Love from Zimbabwe...