Sunday, June 18, 2006

Through Painted Deserts

A couple days ago I picked up...



...after my dad had let me know that it had recently come out. I'm just a couple chapters into the book, as I'm trying to pace myself and not race through it as what usually happens when I read Donald Miller because he's just such a brilliant author. I had forgotten how much I loved this author's writing, as it's been ages since I read a previous book of his, "Searching for God knows what." In just reading through the introduction to this book, I immediately re-fell in love with Donald Miller's writing and remembered why he's a favourite of mine. Just wanted to write a short quote that I read last night...

"It's interesting how you sometimes have to leave home before you can ask difficult questions, how the questions never come up in the room you grew up in, in the town in which you were born. It's funny how you can't ask difficult questions in a familiar place, how you have to stand back a few feet and see things in a new way before you realize nothing that is happening to you is normal."

I think I'm especially enjoying this book because it has a lot to do with leaving home and the questions and discoveries that happen when you go exploring beyond where you've grown up in...and a lot of what I'm reading feels exactly like what I've been going through and continue to go through while I'm in Australia, but just written out in a much more articulate and interesting way in the words of the fabulous Donald Miller.

Definitely glad I picked it up...

Blessings!

1 comment:

kelly said...

thanks for the insight. i will have to pick this one up. if you enjoy him, you might also want to check out Rick McKinley and his book Jesus in the Margins. blessings~