Saturday, February 09, 2008

Walk by faith

I've been reading a book recently about the "Founders of The Salvation Army" that I recieved from my grandparents last Christmas. It's not a very long book, but gives a pretty good account of William and Catherine Booth...their childhood, how they met, and then the path that led them to The Salvation Army.

I just wanted to share a part of a letter that Catherine wrote to her mother during a time when many uncertanties lay ahead.

"I have no hope that God will ever assure us that we shall lose nothing in seeking ot do His will. I don't think this is God's plan. I think He sets before us our duty, and then demands its performance, expecting us to leave the consequences wiht Him. If He had promised beforehand to give Abraham his Isaac back again, where would have been that illustrious display of faith and love which has served to encourage and cheer God's people in all ages? If we could always see our way, we should not have to walk by faith, but by sight. I know God's professing people are generally as anxious to see their way as worldings are, but they thus dishonour God and greatly injure themselves. I don't believe in any religion apart from doing the will of God. True faith is in the uniting link between Christ and the soul, but if we don't do the will of our Father it will soon be broken."

Well said.

No comments: