Monday, August 21, 2006

A night at the footy

This past weekend I FINALLY got to a game of AFL (Australian Football League). It's nearing the end of the season, with the grand final rapidly approaching, but I finally managed to get out to a game of footy to see what all the fuss is about.

It was definitely an entertaining game, and has the intensity from both the fans in the stands and the players themselves, that we see in hockey over in North America. The game had just literally started, when 4 players were already fighting (caught that bit on film lol). But it is a fast paced game, which makes the time pass quickly and provides for a very interesting sport to watch. It took me about a third of the game to get all the rules down pat, and to try and understand the logic behind a lot of the rules...but once I had it all worked out, I throughly enjoyed myself.

The game was the Essendon Bombers verses the Hawthorn Hawks. I went to the game with Matt (who is an Essendon fan), and Nathan (who is a Hawthorn fan), so that in itself also provided some entertainment. Mostly because Nathan is a typical AFL fan and sported his colours for the game, as well as contributed his thoughts (both positive and negative), verbally as the game played out.

So, I guess if nothing else, the AFL is just another passtime that is a typical characteristic of a true Aussie (including making sure there are lots of good looking blokes with stylish hair on the field)...and a very entertaining way to spend a couple of hours.

Click here to see a few photos from the footy...and click here to see a couple of short videos I took as well. (The first one shows the two teams coming out onto the field. Note the classic theme songs of both teams - as well as Nath singing along to the Hawks song. And on the second one, note the boys fighting at the beginning.)
Blessings!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Sounds like fun!
Hope you enjoy every moment while you are there.
Maybe someday I'll get there...who knows?

Anonymous said...

glad you finally got to get to a Footy game.

Next time I'm down there ... we'll definately get there

Mommy