Monday, March 20, 2006

This is no time for dwarvish river dancing!

The Commonwealth Games are well underway and has become all that anyone in Melbourne talks about. Australians are pretty much dominating all the medals that have been won, with Canada ranking sixth I believe.

Not too much new or exciting has been going on with me. I've been keeping busy working in the drop in centre at 614, and getting ready for our kid's ministries team which starts up next week when the kid's are back to school.

My 23rd birthday is creeping up on me and arrives in three days (that's THREE days Dad, not one lol). Despite the fact that winter is around the corner, it's apparently supposed to be 30 degrees on Thursday, making it officially the hottest weather I will have ever had for my birthday.

I had an interesting conversation last week with my roommate. We got into a big discussion about boys, and past hurts we've had in relationships. We got onto the topic of how interesting it is how much past hurts can continue to dominate our heart and minds, even years later. Sometimes we don't even realize that something that someone has done years ago in a relationship can make us insecure, and maybe even a little paranoid, when we encounter new relationships..or even just a friendship with the opposite sex.

Trust really is a delicate thing. All to often as young (or sometimes older) teens, we have a real naive concept of people when we enter into our childish and immature relationships with the opposite sex. Speaking from personal experience....I tended to have the outlook that I could fix "him." I usually went for the guys who I knew broke girls hearts, and were a bit rough around the edges, because I thought that they were probably just misunderstood and all they needed was a second chance. Although I suppose this isn't a completely bad outlook to have on it's own... when it's combined with the mind of a naive and pompous 17 year old girl
entering into a relationship, however...it can spell heart break.

I had my trust in males ripped from me when I was 17, although I guess the fault can't be entirely put on the fellow I was "dating" at the time, as I did willingly put myself in the position. Hindsight really is 20:20 though, as I look back now and wish that I had done so much differently...including having a better self esteem so that I didn't need to stay with a guy that I knew in my heart was cheating on me and lying to me straight to my face.

But...in trying to see the positives in a negative situation...I learned a lot about trust. I learned that it isn't something to just put in anybody. I learned that putting my full trust in someone who I really don't know can leave me vulnerable and open the door to a lot of pain. And in the last couple of years, I've learned what an incredible feeling it is to be able to sincerely trust someone that I've come to really know and love.

I guess thats about it for now. Keep our kids ministries team in your prayers, as we have lost some leaders and our numbers are dwindling, even before things get under way. But God is good, and I know things will come through according to His plan.

Blessings!
PS. If you were wondering where my random title came from, Matt has gotten me into his addiction called World of Warcraft and while watching a video on it one of the characters said this line. So hilarious. Check out this webpage to see all the characters dance moves.

3 comments:

The @ said...

Your trust and Honesty are two of lives most precious gifts and I'm glad you still give them.

-jess- said...

Oh how I agree...

Anonymous said...

Trust is a very fragile thing that we tend to wear on our sleeveand hand out randomly to people and then are totally shocked when it gets battered and bruised.

Look around hon, it is one of those things people learn to hide and protect.

Trust is a gift .... often people are so busy they wanna exchange it for something else, a larger one, smaller one, different shape or size.

Life is a journey, and Trust helps mold us ...

Interesting how much power we give to others when we hand them our Trust ...

Guess the truth is the only one who can truly value our Trust is the one who is perfect. GOD