Friday, October 29, 2004

I attend a "Twenty Something" Bible study at my corps that just started up about a month ago. And last night something interesting struck me that I hadn't put together before. This may be old news to some people, but it was new to me...so I'm going to share it!

We looked at Luke 22:54-62, which tells about Peter denying Jesus three times, just like He had predicted.

"Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, "This man was with him." But he denied it. "Woman, I don't know him," he said. A little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." "Man, I am not!" Peter replied. About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean." Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly."

Most of us I'm sure are familiar with this passage because its a part of the whole cruxifiction story.

Then we took a look at Acts 2:14-24. This took place just after the Holy Spirit had come and the apostles were all speaking in different tounges. Some people who heard them thought that they had been drinking. In this passage Peter is talking to the crowds who were wondering what was going on...

Peter Addresses the Crowd
"Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

" 'In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.
I will show wonders in the heaven above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
And everyone who calls
on the name of the Lord will be saved."

Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This man was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him. "

I knew about both of these passages of scripture before, but never had I put it into perspective. The same Peter who publicly denied Jesus three times is now bodly telling others about the Saviour. It had been mere days, maybe a week or two, since Peter had stated that he did not know Jesus. And now here he is, before a crowd of people, preaching about the risen Lord!! Just think about that! There wasn't months or years between the two events. But within a very small amount of time Peter became convicted to speak about Jesus. He became able to talk freely about his Lord without fear or doubt in mind. Now think about that in our lives. Can you think about a time when you were scared to stand up for what you believed in? Can you imagine then having enough courage just a couple days later to go back and publicly announce your faith and what you believe in without a single though of fear or doubt?

Want to know the secret? Want to know where Peter found his strength and motivation?
Three words.
The Holy Spirit.

Peter was now absolutly filled with the Holy Spirit. Just overflowing with it.

Ever wondered what it looks like when someone is filled with the Holy Spirit? Look at Peter.

Jesus knew Peter was weak. He knew that Peter would deny him three times. And through those events I believe that Peter became broken. Jesus broke him, and then rebuilt him again with the Holy Spirit. He became a man of God, strong and convicted to do the ministry of his Lord.

It just absolutly boggles my mind just to think of the change that took place in the life of Peter. And its so exciting to see what the power of God can do in a life that is willing to be filled with Him!

So yes...those are just my thoughts on that subject anyways..and I'd thought I'd share....
God Bless!

No comments: