Monday, November 22, 2004

Take the plunge...

I just got home from Connexity, Mississaugas alternative youth service. I always love going. Not just because I get to see lots of friendly faces, but I always enjoy hearing Steve Wiseman speak. God just flows through Steve as he worships with the band, and then as he speaks from God's word.

This week revolved around faith. And I thought I would just mention a couple things I got out of tonight, as I just blogged about this topic a couple of days ago.

I looked at faith, as taking the leap. Steve referred to it tonight as "Taking the plunge."

We watched a humourous video that demonstrated this idea as a father tried to get his 15 year old son, to finally take the plunge (literally) off a diving board and into the pool. I really liked the quote that they showed at the end of the
video:

"Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered, and no one was there."

Steve made some interesting points about where we put our faith. We put faith in a light switch, that when we flick it, the lights will come on. Or even the chair that we're sitting in right now. We have faith that it's not going to fall on us. A lot of people don't complete understand why a light turns on when you flip a switch, or what is keeping the chair you are sitting on together, yet we have put our complete trust in these trivial things. So, if we can put our faith and trust in these silly small things...how much more faith is God requiring from us? We don't question the light switch, but all to often we're questioning God.

Some questions that we were asked at Connexity, and then we were asked to talk about in small groups were pretty thought provoking. I'm going to share a couple here (I can't remember the exact wording of the ones we were asked..so I'm ad-libing...) Feel free to contemplate them and then let me know what you think!

- What causes us to doubt?
- What needs to happen for us to be able to trust something?
- Is it a sign of weakness if we doubt or question?

And although I can remember the discussion that we had..I can't remember any more of the questions. But if you can think of any thing else about faith that you've been questioning or pondering, also feel free to share it!

In Faith,

No comments: