Sunday, December 05, 2004

Bob and Larry...The Encouragers

It's funny how sometimes we can find encouragement in the most unlikely places, especially when we're not looking for it.

Today I am spending the day babysitting my 2 year old cousin (the fam is off to the Salvation Army concert at Massey Hall). It really isn't so much babysitting, but more just hanging out with the little guy as he's a lot of fun to spend time with. (Granted, he's not so fun when he's fighting sleep and becomes extremely grumpy..but now that he's finally taking his nap, things are starting to look up!)

Anyways, earlier today we watched the new Veggie Tales movie "Sumo of the Opera." (Joseph is a big fan of the veggies). I hadn't seen this one before, and I was making lunch at the same time it was on, so I was only half paying attention. Basically though it's about perseverance. Larry (the cucumber) was getting frustrated with a commitment he had made to help needy children, as it was a lot harder then he thought it would be. So Bob (the tomato), being the great friend that he is, decided he would share a story about perseverance with Larry to help get motivated to finish what he had started. The story then unfolds about a Sumo wrestler who has a lot of difficulty finishing tasks that he starts. Then one day a huge opportunity comes his way, and if he's able to persevere through it, there is a great reward waiting for him. But, that's all I'm going to say about the story, because I don't want to ruin it for all you Veggie Tale fans out there who haven't seen this one yet.

After the story is over, Bob and Larry (after learning a valuable lesson) share a Bible verse for all the viewers to read. The one the shared this time was:

"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. " - Hebrew 10:36

Such a simple verse, but it can be so difficult to follow when things get tough. After reading the verse, Bob and Larry just shared some final thoughts. Then Bob said "even when it's hard you need to be a finisher! God promises that finishing has it's rewards!"

This year God has convicted me of a lot of thing, and to give up a lot as well. Some days, it seems so easy and without a second thought my life is completely in the Lord's hands. Other days, I really struggle, and I just want to do things my own way and forget what it is that God has asked me to do.

So this is where the unlooked for encouragement came from. Without knowing I needed a kick in the pants, God used a talking tomato and cucumber to remind me that I need to be a finisher! God has told me that "something better"...a reward far beyond anything that I can imagine..is waiting for me at the end of this year, and then in the future beyond that.

So yah, this blog entry was a little cheesy, but common..I've been hanging out with a two year old all day! And besides that, I happen to quite enjoy Veggie Tales.

Anyways, thats about it for now!

Keep persevering!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BUSY! BUSY! DREADFULLY BUSY! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BUSY I AM! BUSY! BUSY! DREADFULLY BUSY! I DON'T KNOW WHY I AM COMMENTING! (ok that didn't rhyme very smoothly...rather not at all) Anywho, I thought I should include my comment with a song that came from VEGGIETALES (that last line I made up for those who don't know). Perseverance...well, I guess that's something I'm struggling with at this moment. In some sense, I can relate and understand. We are such twins! lol. This change that I'm going through, I guess that's my challenge. I'm having a really hard time persevering to the end. I guess for me it's due to not knowing what is there for me at the finish line.

"This year God has convicted me of a lot of thing, and to give up a lot as well. Some days, it seems so easy and without a second thought my life is completely in the Lord's hands. Other days, I really struggle, and I just want to do things my own way and forget what it is that God has asked me to do."

I understand that feeling. I wish I could give a strong encouragement to those who are going through similar events such as this. It's hard to continue on the journey where the land is an imperfect world. I guess all I can relate to is THE UNMOVED MOVER - for those who are taking PHILOSOPHY 101, or have taken it, you should all know what it means. It's one of the proofs that Aquinas used to prove that God exists. To make a long story short, simply everything has a cause, and that cause must have come from another cause, but all the causes had to stop at one place and that causer cannot be caused by anything else. Therefore, God is the unmoved mover. To relate to your blog, we were put in this situation for a reason. God's reason. We were put in such situations because God caused us to be in this situation. Are we suffering to the point that we are dying and to the point that we can't handle the situation? If there's any bible verse that I remember best, it is that God will never put us in a situation that he knows we would not be able to handle it ourselves. I guess then, this situation we are in, God caused it knowing that we will be able to deal with it and the situation we are in, God will use to cause another effect. If God is using this cause, what is there to fear, but to be prepared for the wonderful effect. I don't think I'm making any sense, but that's one of the thoughts I'm handling my situation at. There's SPIDEY's thought for the day....yes this is Spidey....Peter Park...aka...Spidey....aka....Peter Park....aka...Spidey...(24 hours later).....aka....Peter Park.....aka...