Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The Good Book

I've been pondering over something the last couple of days so I thought that I would share it.

Technology is always advancing, always getting better, faster, and smarter. It seems as soon as you buy the "latest" of a cell phone, tv, computer or dvd player, something even better comes out the next day. We want to keep up with the times, be trendy and hip and relevant.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Mitchells Christian Book Store, to do some Christmas shopping. While I was there I ran into Amy and we talked and walked around the store together for a bit. When we got to where the Bible section was, we were amazed at how many different versious there are now. There are literally dozens apon dozens of "modern" translations of the good book. There are serveral different versions now in magazine form, hoping to be relevant to the trendy teen. And the "Message" version of the Bible is now in a smaller form, which comes in a cool tin lunch box style case. It is also now selling as the "energy" Bible..with the pages being split in half, with NIV on one side, and the Message version on the other.

I know that it is important for people to be able to find a Bible that they enjoy reading. But doesn't it seem like we're getting caught up with the whole always needing something relevant, trendy, and cool? How many different versions do we actually need to have? Are we getting to the point where we're watering down what the original message was intended to say and reading too much into it all?

Growing up within a Christian family I have tons of Bibles that I was given over the years. But really, I hardly looked at or used any of them. I actually only use a Bible that I was given when I was 14. It's actually a youth walk Bible..and although I'm not a teen anymore, I've kindof grown attached to it and I'm reluctant to get a new one. But do we need to have a different Bible for every stage of our life? Do we need a Bible for every different relevant and modern translation that is out there??

These are just my thoughts...any others?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well agian it jamie! in your forth paragraph you made an interstaing coment. something to the lines of by having so much versions are we getting couaght up the whole always getting something new, relevant etc... well i feel that, that issue is important we should better focus on is christainity becoming a quick fix for most people. how much times do people go to youth events come back all strong and want to live for god but months later go back to our normal selves. and yet we claim that, that youth event was awesome. i believe we should be more worried if our faith is becoming an expericence rather then a life time thing. As we grow our lives arent always going to be thrilling, but just meh, cause our lives our "meh" or ok, doesnt mean that god isnt using us. So esther i like your concern and i'll take it to heart, but i fear that we as a body of christ are living a relationship with christ that is based on expericence and being on top of the world. Just cause the world says quick fix for all. (if you dont beleive me look at technonloy. microwaves, fastfood, dvds, many things) I pray that the body of christ does not get cought up in this way of living.
Take care and God bless

Esther Atkins said...

Well, I definitly agree Jamie and thx again for your thoughts! I was just more venting some thoughts about the whole Bible thing without getting into too much depth, but you are right and that we do seek a quick fix just being a Christian in general.

Unknown said...

The modernistic translations are absurd. I'm not a fan of the "slang" Bibles. Plain English or King James for me please.

Esther Atkins said...

I concur with that!