Wednesday, December 08, 2004

I need to be free

After having months of Monday's that were continually busy with other things, I was finally able to get to a Teheilla this past Monday after not going since the beginning of September.

Teheilla is a non-denominational service at the Canada Christian College that runs every Monday night. I started going with my sis and Chris Tidd back in February and got absolutely hooked on it. It really opened me up to just how differently people experience God and how open and loud people encounter the Lord.

On Monday when I went I got shook really hard by God. It was incredible. Within the 2 hours that I was there so much took place between God and I. I left the building feeling completely drained and exhausted, but totally alive in Christ. It would take a lot of time and space to write out all that happen, plus I guess a lot of it is personal. But if you'd like to know, ask me about it outside this blog.

I am going to share one thing though that I really got from God Monday night. And hopefully it's not stepping on anyone's toes, but if it's a message from God, I can't be silent.

Freedom. Being free to worship without any boundaries, and to just be free in God. I hadn't realized it, but I had begun to slowly be pressed in on and conformed by the services at my church. Now that's not to say anything against my church or those who run it, but just a personal statement. The last few weeks I've had a lot going through my head, and have had a lot of confusion. But I think this was the answer. I wasn't free. I was encountering God, but there were barriers in the way. I hadn't let myself loose and just completely opened myself up to the Lord. And I think this has a lot to do with the church services that I attend.

The Salvation Army isn't free. It hasn't been released. We would know it if it had been. It's like there is something sitting on the chests of all those who come to church, preventing them from just breathing God in, and shouting out His praises. Why is the church so quiet? I know not everyone worships in the same way...but the good Lord gave everyone a voice to praise and honour Him. So why I can't hear them? Why do songs sung from the songbook sound like forced praises? And why do responsive readings sound like we're in a cult?

WE AREN'T FREE

We don't have to be dancing down the isles, or speaking in tongues to be having a "proper" encounter with God, or a "good" church service. What we need though is freedom. I need to be able to feel that if the Holy Spirit came apon me in such a way that I couldn't stay still, or I need to shout and cry his praises, I would be free to do that in a Salvation Army church...in my church. People may tell me that I am free...but I know I'm not. I can feel it the minute I walk into that buildling. God can feel it too...and He's sick of it.

I tasted freedom Monday night. And how did I respond? Honestly? I sat in a heap on the floor and cried and shouted out to God that this was something that I could always feel. That the Salvation Army could feel. That I could feel in my church. For God to be unleashed. I have never had an experience like this before, and I know that God is moving and wants something done..now.

I'm sick of peoples good intentions and hopeful words..just as I know many others are. But I'm not telling you to do anything about it. I'll wait for God to shake you free in His own time. I'm going to get my butt out of my comfy chair and follow the Lord to freedom. I'm also tired of people saying that they're not comfortable when seeing people worship very visibly (not saying that you have to physically be able to see someone worshiping in order for them to be experiencing God). But you know what? That's a good thing if you're uncomfortable, if you're a little squirmy..That means the Holy Spirit is moving. You shouldn't be comfortable. God help us if we are.

I BELIEVE I WILL LIVE TO SEEM MY NATION ON IT'S KNEES
RIGHT NOW REVIVAL STARTS WITH ME

No comments: