Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Moment at the Tether Ball Pole

Anyone who has ever heard any camp stories from me from last summer will have heard about my buddy Roman. In short..he is an extremely incredible kid, but he had a lot of difficulties staying with his cabin for any length of time, or even listening to anyone for that matter. But, we were still excited when we heard he was back this year as he is someone who genuinely just loves this camp, and really needs to see God's love that is demonstrated through the staff at Wabana.

Anyways, the first couple days were a bit rough this week, with Roman going wandering to the lake as well as Metro Road. But this morning I saw him in such a different light in quite the beautiful moment. I went over to where my good buddy Daniel was standing by the tether ball pole, and started chatting with him. Then shortly after Roman wandered over and sat on the grass, and just began chatting my ear off (this alone is huge as he doesn't relate to females too well, never mind actually engaging someone in a conversation). Then a few minutes later, another favourite camper of mine, Kritter (real name Kristofer), walked over and sat down beside Roman. Kritter has been coming to this camp for years and is well known amoung all the staff as he is mighty social and just an overal fantastic kid. I don't know if Kritter knows the kind of difficulties Roman has, but he immediately started up a conversation with Roman asking him all about what activities he was in that day, and high fived him when he found out they were both in Nature. I just stood and watched the conversation with a huge smile on my face. I was just so excited to not only see Roman talking to another kid (he usually avoids that and will sit with a frown on his face when other kids try to talk to him), but also that Kritter has turned into this incredible young man who is taking the initiative to engage kids younger then him who aren't very good at making friends.

Again, God continues to enlighten me and brighten up my day with these beautiful miracle moments. A continually much needed reminder about why it is I keep coming back to camp..

God is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Essie. You are passing on some real inspirational stuff and I'm sure God is opening your eyes to see Him in all His precious children. Keep on prayin' & bloggin!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Esther for your latest blog about Roman, etc. You write so convincingly and showing great insight. I'm blessed. Keep it us as you are able.

P.S. Drop your little sister in Surrey a word of encouragement if you haven't done so already. Her camp is well under way. Andy leaves on Friday.

Love, G. and G. Halsey