Sunday, July 03, 2005

Today's Little Miracles

First camp of the summer arrived today..and we have 108 energetic children lodging at our camp this week. Right up until the kids got off the bus, it still wasn't feeling like camp...still hadn't really hit that it was all starting. I'm not sure why it's taken so much to get into the camp "mode" this summer. If it's because I didn't have as much time this year to plan out everything...or because it's a much younger staff...or because I never anticipated that I'd be here for another year...or because I was just being too distracted by other things that I haven't let myself get into gear with the camp ministry.

About half an hour before the bus arrived this afternoon though, I knew I had to make a decision. Break down whatever crazy walls and barriers I had put up that was preventing me from being excited about this summer, and surrender every selfish and dumb thought to God....or continue how I've been the last 3 weeks just going through the motions and putting on a fake smile to everyone that I talk to. I decided I should go with the first option. I finally took a minute to stop, actually talk to God, and just let go. I know I'll have to do it probably every day as the summer progresses...but it's one day at a time. Today, I gave it all to God..I broke down the walls and I laid it all at the Lord's feet. Today I went through everything with God right beside me. Today I was strong, empowered by God and feeling confident. Today was good...and I know He is already at tomorrow, waiting for me to let go and have another incredible day with Him beside me.

I love these kids, and I've had such a great day seeing old faces, meeting tons of new and wonderful children, and just hanging out and being blessed by the presence of so many beautiful souls. I am absolutely bewildered by the size of twin girls who I had in my cabin my first couple of years here. I have memories of them sitting huddled together crying because they were homesick, as two very little precious girls. And now, I had them today come running off the bus and give me a huge hug...and they're nearly the same height as me! They've grown into two incredible young warriors for God..tall and strong...I love it.

My favourite memory of today is with my boy Daniel. Last summer he was a little scrawny of a kid, who had a lot of difficulties in his cabin and ended up spending a lot of time with me in the office. We ended up bonding because I found out he lives in my neighbourhood in good ol' East York. As soon as I saw him today he looked at me, and shouted "the trouble maker is back!" with a huge grin on his face. I was so excited to see him, and gave him a huge hug. He's still a bit of a scrawn..but has grown about a foot, and now wears very thugged out clothes. Anyways..today during Bible, Daniel was sitting at the back by himself, so I went and sat with him. When Ray (who was leading bible) began to read some scripture to the campers, Daniel looked at me and told me that he had some Bible books at home. So we talked about that for a bit, and he told me how that he now reads Bible stories when he needs to calm down, and his favourite is Noah's Ark. My heart just melted!! I shouldn't be surprised by such beautiful little miracles like that, but I was! I never expected something like that from Daniel. He then told me he wasn't allowed to bring his Bible to camp. So I went back to the office I found a kids translation of the old testament, marked out where Noah's Ark was in it, and took it to him at his cabin. He loved it and began flipping through it immediately. It absolutely made my day! To find out that a 11 year old willingly reads scripture when he knows he needs to calm down! In the old testament none the less! How many of us as Christian adults do that? Praise the Lord because he is working in Daniel! I love it...

The end of the day is definitely here. Just waiting for a few of the male cabins to get their campers settled, then it's off to bed. Actually feeling excited for tomorrow....

Blessings!

No comments: