Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Campfire Moment

I have had to unfortunately spend the better part of today in bed sleeping, as I'm sick again (round 3), and trying desperately to get healthy again.

But, I was able to make it to camp fire tonight, and I just wanted to share the highlight of my day.

I have been encouraging a lot of my cabin leaders to step out and take initiative in areas that they were timid about at the beginning of the summer. I have been telling Paddington to do devotions at campfire for the last couple of weeks, but she's been a bit nervous about it. But, I was delighted tonight to see her get up in front of the camp to lead them.

She spoke so incredibly well, it just melted my heart to see her up in front of 110 kids, passionately telling them about several Bible stories of God going miraculous things...using something small, and turning it into something huge.

She concluded with telling that campers that it doesn't matter that they're young, God can still use whatever talents and abilities that they have to do great wonders. As she was concluding her devotion, little adorable 7 year old Kurtis that I had sitting on my lap, just began to beam ear to ear. Although the rest of his cabin was a bit restless and having difficulties sitting still, Kurtis gave Paddington his full attention and just soaked up every beautiful word that she said. At the end, I asked him if he liked the story and he just smiled at me and let out an enthusiastic "yah!"

Through Paddingtons braveness to lead a devotion (that she did an absolutely fantastic job at I might add..) I know that she reached at least one little camper. Love it.

No comments: