Friday, September 16, 2005

"I'll protect you..."

Just finished watching this unbelievable movie.

I'm currently in a state of attempting to take in the intensity of this film after my tears that were pouring down my face have finally subsided and I am trying to reflect on all that I just took in.

The movie's primary base was on the racism in North America, more specifically, LA. I had heard that racism was a factor in the plot of this film, but I had no idea the depth or span that it covered within the story line.

Within the time span of 122 minutes, you are introduced to about a dozen main characters, all of whom are seemingly independent of one another...but who all at one point or another cross paths in a variety of spectrums.

Racism in this movie is shown through ignorance of other cultures...through bias and stereotypes...through mere accidents and mis-interpretations...through being in the wrong place at the wrong time...and through simple pure hatred of other races. But, it also shows the incredible way that it all comes back to us...what goes around comes around...and that in some crazy way, we're all in this together, linked together in one way shape or form.

Each character is confronted with the very thing that they feared, hated or had merely avoided in ignorance...and that brings about some incredible displays of emotion, violence, and realization that there is a world out side of ourselves.

It's definitely a eye opening and mind boggling experience to watch this film...even for those who are very informed of the racial issues and battles that go on every day in North America. It's also a sad realization to know that this is infact a true reflection on the society that we do live in.

Is there anyone else who has seen this movie who has any thoughts? feedback?

Or just any thoughts on the issues or racism in North America today?

A staff member at work today was actually talking about this issue because of a class she is taking in college in regards to this subject. She said that a comment someone made at the class yesterday stood out to her. A fellow student in the class raised his hand to say...

"I think I regret coming to Canada with my children from Jamaica because of all the racism that takes place here."

Thoughts?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Racism is a dangerous weapon that I don't think people realize how deadly it is.

People fear what they don't know or understand. People make assumptions. When I was in college one of my professors would go on and on about being a black man living at jane & finch. No one understood racism if that wasn't you. He was rude, cruel, derogatory to so many people, polish, east indian, chinese. He was absolutely rascist towards white, anglo saxon beyond anything i'd experienced. "you white people have it all, you don't understand". WOW Reverse racism?

I put my hand up in one class & stated "Sir you don't know me, why do you assume things, you don't know my faith, my background, my upbringing and yet you lump me into a race and look down on me. You have no idea that I grew up on indian reserves (as an officers child), or that my sister & I were the only white kids. I grew up hating being a redhead, now I understand it was because i was treated cruely by the natives for years. You don't know me, don't assume I'm white things are easy".

This is a Professor with such power, teaching in the social field ... and he missed the point and his opportunity to make a difference.

We are all from the human race. Sometimes it is sad to see what others do, but I still have hope cause everyday I see people with no hope of all nationalities ... we're all God's people ... and i refuse to buy into Racism ...

As the song goes...
Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world
Red and Yellow, Black and White
They are children in his sight
Jesus loves the little children of the World

We'll just show them ... one person at a time
Mommy

Leslie said...

saw it last night......CRAZY. I'm not a 'movie cryer' but that scene you show with father and daughter.....I freaked out sobbed!!!!

Racism is certainly not gone or forgotten. I think it is so deep in history it may never be.

Its breaking down walls one prson at a time.

Esther Atkins said...

Yah Leslie..I was so glad I decided to watch that movie alone, because at that scene I was an absolute mess!! I got pretty worked up at the scene in the other picture I put up there too...intense stuff...

Anonymous said...

Bradley & I watched this movie last night. WOW>

I could feel waves of anger & fear just rippling off the screen. Its impossible to watch this movie & not have it affect you deeply, right through to the core.

The scene with the dad & adorable daughter was so powerful. Absolutely riveting. I think i was so strongly affected it wasn't possible to cry just overcome with so much ...

at the end of the movie was so exhausted emotionally. Boggles my mind that people can have so much hatred for others. Anger & frustration just aimed at the next person they saw. Wow.

Real eye opener ... What goes around ....

Makes you be aware .. ohw we all affect each other ... we're all connected ....

Guess its up to those of us to share inner peace, love, kindness to those who don't get to see it ...

God sure has our work cut out for us, glad he's on our side

Anonymous said...

Hey Esther Halsey.

I saw this movie earlier in the summer. Very powerful!
Brings back memrories for me too. I saw it with a buddy in NYC.

Very powerful, it touched me.

See you soon.

pauldebanfe