Thursday, January 26, 2006

Happy Australia Day!

Well, the sunburn count is now up to three...but I've nearly recovered from the severe one I got on my back, and I think I'm slowly learning to be sun smart. I'll get there eventually I'm sure.

This week I went to the Melbourne Zoo. Finally got to see some Australian animals! (Believe it or not, kangaroos aren't just running wild every where you look.) Oh, Dionne and Donna...I definitely bought a kangaroo crossing sign at the zoo gift shop!

Things are still going well here on this side of the world. Yesterday I woke up to find that a package from my family had come. Definitely made my week! My favourite part of it was the t-shirt that included messages and favourite bible verses from my siblings, parents, grandparents, cousin, aunts and uncles. I'll be putting that up on my wall when I move into my house in Sunshine! It did make me feel homesick and I had kindof an off day...but I'm just trying to not let myself dwell on how much I miss my family.

The weather continues to be on a hot streak, as Sunday was 43 degrees, and today is pushing 40. But I guess it's still better then snow!

This weekend I think I'm heading up to a beach area called Apollo Bay for a couple days with one of the girls I've been hanging out with, so that should be some good relaxing time spent on the beach! (Yes mum...I'll remember the sunscreen!)

As a random thought to finish this off, I heard an interesting theory last night when I went out for dinner with a couple of girls. One of the girls in her psychology class learned a reason to explain the differences in how girls and guy categorize their relationships. Apparently, (keeping in mind this is just a general statement..choose to agree or disagree) males are able to put females they have relationships with into clearly labelled boxes. For example, if they have a girlfriend...she is in the girlfriend box. If they have a girl who is their best friend...she is in the best friend box. And if the relationship ends with their girlfriend, they take her out of that box, but maybe instead put her into the bestfriend box if they still consider her they're closest friend.

Then, in comparison...females have a sliding scale for the males they have relationships with. At one end of the spectrum could be complete stranger, and at the other end of the scale could be boyfriend. So as a female gets to know a male, he may slide up and down this scale, but what may be lacking are clear and definite lines as to if this male is the best friend, or if he is the object of a crush, or when he becomes the boyfriend.

So, this rational was used I think to explain how girls often have difficulties falling for guys who are their "best friends" or guys they spend a lot of time with because their lines are blurred as to where one aspect of their relationships starts and the other one ends. While it seems to be easier for guys to continue to think of a girl as just their friend, because she's clearly labelled in the "just friend" box.

Any thoughts? I thought an was an interesting way of looking at it anyways.

Oh, and if in need of a laugh, or you are a David Hasselhoff fan...give this link a look see.

Blessings!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yahhhhhh tshirt. one of my better ideas.

did u like the hair circle? or the kissy thing.

miss u lots. glad ur doing well.

muah xo
mommy

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to reference the last part of 1 Corinthians 15:32 for you while you are away, but the Lord would not let me find the reference and put it on the shirt. It was either the Lord or your Grandmother.

-jess- said...

David Hasslehoff....CLASSIC!!! I loved it!

miss you!

philip said...

hmmm.. interesting theory... does this apply to you in any way esther... i don't know.. you've ben there a few weeks now.. wondering what.. or who.. you've been up to.. oh my :O haha.. latah!

philip said...

oh and yes... i realize now that i typed ben... that is in no way shape or form some sort of underlying statment.. i merely meant to type been instead of ben.. now that we've cleared that up we can all get back to wacthing leave it to beaver. ~amen

Anonymous said...

E-TOR,

what is the precise measurements (h and w) of the kangaroo crossing sign?

D and D

Esther Atkins said...

lol..it's just a small one, cuz i'm cheap. It's like 4 inches i guess along each side.

Naomi said...

Oh, man... all that theory did was tell me that I'm male. Which I don't think I am. Actually, I'm fairly sure. So's hubby *lol*