Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ready to Launch

I just attended the Red Shield Appeal Launch, that was held this year from 614. I don't think I've ever attended a launch in Canada, so this would be a first experience for me.

It's been an interesting morning. We arrived in our lane way at 6:45am this morning, where we usually have a couple of our guys sleeping out, or by the time we normally arrive in the morning there are a few guys just hanging out until the centre opens at 10. But this morning, our jaws dropped when we arrived. There was a tent set up in the lane way, and people everywhere. Being so early in the morning, the first thing that caught our eye was the huge coffee machine that was set up. There were waiters in fancy suits everywhere, walking around with elegant juices (like green tomato juice...who drinks that??) and mini crossants, and fruit kababs. Shortly after we got there, big wigs in business suits and Salvo uniforms started pouring in, as well as heaps of media people with big cameras. I got excited when I saw some guys in Salvo uniforms walking past with brass instruments, mostly because there were several guys that I knew from our xbox system link parties.

After about an hour everyone was ushered upstairs to the temple where heaps of speeches were given, and a lot of acknowledgements were said on behalf of all the important businesses who were represented. It always spurs some interesting thoughts for me when I see so many classy uniformed and suited up people talking about the needy in the city and how the Salvation Army needs money "more than ever" (slogan for the campaign this year). Not saying that the money isn't needed...it's just a bizarre thing to watch so many clean and upper class people asking for it.

So an interesting morning overall...and definitely some things to think about. We have two Red Shield Appeal weekend blitzes coming up, where us Order people get to do some hardcore intersection collecting...good times! Should be an experience anyways (~whispers word 'experience' and does corresponding hand movements..just for you Matt~).

Just want to finish off with this Bible passage that my wonderful Grandparents left for me in a comment in the previous post, that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this morning...


What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.

I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

Phil 3:8 - 12

Blessings!

2 comments:

The @ said...

Intersection collecting is the easiest.

get like 100+ an hour if your on a good intersection.

And the best bit...

They come to you! :)

such an 'experience'

Anonymous said...

the lessons you are learning soooo far away from home.

Isn't it amazing that no matter where we are there is God ... and The Salvation Army.

What great comfort and joy is this

love
mommy