Thursday, November 30, 2006

Hair Raising

So...random thought.

You know how hair salons can give you hair extensions? A very handy thing I guess if you have short hair but need to be in a wedding, or maybe for a formal you want to have longer hair to do more things with.

Typically I reckon, hair salons use synthetic hair. However, I saw a sign on my way to work yesterday that said "Human Hair Extensions."

Hmmm

My question. Off of whose head are they getting this hair for the human hair extensions? I know that people donate their hair to organizations that make wigs for people who have lost their hair due to illness...but do people actually chop off a foot of hair to donate it to a hair salon for people with lots of money to pay to have longer hair??

So my thinking is, either the source of the hair is something dodgy...or I'm just seeing a new side to the materialism of our world.

Any brilliant minds care to shed some light on the subject??

4 comments:

The @ said...

I've been pulling my hair out trying to work out an answer to this. :P

*bows after accepting lamest joke ever award*

Leslie said...

I say yet another level of materialism!

Anonymous said...

I prefer not to talk about hair thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

perhaps they get purchase the hair off of someone and use it ....

anything is possible .... imagine how much they'd give u for your hair .. to cut it as short as mine ....

ooooooo $$$$$$$$$