Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Trick-or-Treat

I haven't been trick-or-treating since the ripe ol' age of 14...and did I ever miss it!

Last night I headed down to Regent to meet up with some kids and parents to hit up the park and Cabbagetown for some free candy. I forgot how excited kids get about this night!! It was a struggle to keep up with a couple of the energetic ones (pre sugar overload I might add)...so I ended up trailing behind with two of the boys who were Siamese twins as they took a bit longer to walk up the stairs to peoples houses.

It was really beautiful to see how the people of Regent Park and Cabbagetown come together for this one night. Theirs no stigmas or boundaries..just everyone out enjoying the night. A couple times I got hit with culture shock while in the richer areas...one time being when we saw a couple casually walking down the middle of the road amongst the crowds of children carrying some champagne in wine glasses. I had to do a double take.

After about 2 hours of strolling the streets, exchanging smiles and hugs with kids I knew, and just enjoying the mass chaos that was literally hundreds of children going door to door...we started to head back as the Siamese twins were slowly fading (and then one ended up also bleeding as they had tripped over their oversized pants and face planted into the cement).

But then I ran into the Igniter girls, and Kanga..and they were just bursting with energy! So we spent the next hour doing some trick-or-treating ourselves and taking advantage of the free candy night! It definitely makes the experience that much better to go out with a couple of Australians and French girls who have never participated in Halloween before. I can remember the last time I had gone out (at 14), being yelled at for being too old. But maybe because our costumes were just so great...we never once heard any comment of the sort. Instead just got a lot of smiles and laughs (especially at Shauns costume)...and of course, loads of candy! Kanga was even told that soon she'll be old enough to be able to drink! (Kanga is turning 26...hmm..).

Anyways...it was a fantastic night overal, and definitely one of my top Halloween experiences. Below is a pick of our "adult" trick-or-treating group. (Go to my MSN spaces for some more photos.)


Anyone else do anything exciting?

2 comments:

Heather Princess said...

Hmmm...Kanga old enough to drink...that's so funny! I love it!

I missed Halloween here. Didn't realize how much I'd miss going out with the Regent kids and stuff. Had fond memories of last year...as nothing happened in my own neighborhood here :(

Esther Atkins said...

You mean you didn't try and start a new trend down there in Australia?

You should've dressed up anyways lol.

Regent Park definitely misses you Heather..but you'll be back soon!!