Monday, March 21, 2005

All things are possible

I had the divine opportunity this past weekend to once again attend the March Break camp for Regent Park kids. I definitely had a bit of a different perspective this year, but still enjoyed it just the same. I was a bit disappointed at first at the fact I wasn't put into a cabin, as I wasn't sure what I was going to do with all the free time I would have. But my schedule got quickly filled up as I was asked to help with and lead different activities, as well as to help out with the youngest boys cabin. Man oh man...cutest kids ever!

It's always so humbling and incredible to hang out with the Regent Park kids. My favourite part of hanging out with these guys is the worship time. You'll never see a group of youth worship like these guys do. Hands raised, eyes closed, just jumping and dancing. And what is the most touching is that you know that they're being impacted and seeds are being planted. Their worship to God is real, vivid and raw...and just so beautiful to witness.

My favourite moment of the weekend was having two of my squad kids, who are both 7 and just adorable, tell me that they wanted to ask Jesus into their lives. I held the tears in that welled up, and helped them write down this request onto a paper that they could stick up on the cross that was at the front of the Bible room. I know that this doesn't mean that they are going to be perfect children...but I do know that God is taking care of them, and in some way a part of their lives, and that is an awesome thing.

My other favourite moments were when these normally tough acting kids would let down their guard, even if just for a second, and you could see something incredibly beautiful there. I saw one of these moments when another one of my squad kids was with our nature group out in the woods looking at tracks. He normally puts up a tough front and wants to impress the kids around him, so he was walking a bit ahead of the group, pretending not to pay attention. But then as the group stopped walking and was listening to information about hibernation about snakes, this tough acting little boy looked back at the group and shouted "I found some tracks!......I think they're deer tracks!....I think they're fresh...there's no snow covering them!" I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it definitely made me smile as I knew he was letting down his "I'm too cool for this" image and actually taking something in.

I think it's when these kids start to trust you, and get a little attached (although they might not admit it) and you get to see them for the pure, honest and beautiful children that they are...it just fills your heart with such incredible joy. There is nothing like it...it's like a little piece of Heaven.

I got to spend the hour bus ride home with a exhausted 6 year old passed out and curled up in a ball on my lap, and another 8 year old boy beside me, also passed out and using my arm for a pillow. What an overall rewarding weekend...to have gotten to share a few days with these children and to really have them bless me. It was like hanging out with 79 little Jesus warriors. They might not say all the right things, or make all the right choices all the time...but they're real and they're honest, and God is definitely working on something great for all of them.

And now that I'm finally showered...in some clean clothes...and no longer smelling like eleven 6 year old boys...I think it's time to catch some Z's....

1 comment:

Burnin'Light said...

Hey! Glad to hear you had such an amazing weekend...you're doing awesome things. Continue to serve God with this burnin passion.
You're Brother in God