Monday, April 11, 2005

Mission Jamaica Reunion

Yesterday afternoon/evening I got to spend several hours with my mission team family, as we had our Mission Jamaica reunion. It was a wonderful time as we shared memories, caught up with what everyone was doing now, and just enjoyed each others company again. Tons of photos were passed around and shared, and we watched a video from the trip that one of the girls had recorded. We even sang a song that had the lyrics re-written with memories from our trip. It was an incredible time, finished off with a devotion and a sharing of testimony's of the lasting impacts that the mission had for us.

I was given some new photos to add to my collection, so I thought I would share a few of my favourites that I received yesterday....



This one is a view of the house through the grass (obviously). Thats me in the white shirt, and Donna in the blue shirt. I thought it was a pretty cool view.

This is such a beautiful picture. I've talked so much about how the kids took care of each other, and this sums it up. All three of these kids are visually impaired to some degree, and the one on the right in the swing has a handicapped arm as well. Every single morning they would take turns pushing each other on the swing, and making sure they got on the swing safely. I love it..such incredible children.

This picture is classic!! This was nearing the end of our second rain day (which was in the first week), and we were asked to move from our job of sweeping all the water out of the building (that still had no roof) and become the fire brigade! So, with soaking wet wood, and the worst matches I've ever seen in my life (we used 3 packs!) we finally got a fire started! Yay for the log cabin method! (Although it was mostly me starting the fire, and my two lovely assistants watching and offering advice haha..so great!) It ended up getting so big, and the coals got so hot, we were able to keep this thing going for the rest of the trip! Pat is on the left, I'm in the middle, and Robynn is on the right.



Now..this picture..fantastic. (Laurie on the left, me on the right). I didn't know that this picture existed until it was handed to me yesterday! So here's the story..it was nearing the end of our second week of hard labour, and we were beyond tired! I had spent over 3 days of over 10 hours each day rolling paint onto ceilings, and was definitely looking for a change in jobs! So, the boys let me have the scaffolding to do the cutting in on the ceilings and some final touch ups. This was most definitely my favourite job on the trip because I absolutely loved climbing up on to this thing, and walking around on it so high up off of the ground. Anyways, Laurie and I had been touching up the rooms for a few hours, and it was getting pretty late, and we didn't want to start a new job. So..to lengthen the job that we had...we sang while we worked. We started out with some great old school Disney tunes from Little Mermaid to Aladdin..then moved right into Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, and Cyndi Lauper. We were beyond exhausted, so we didn't care what people thought of us, and we sang our little hearts out! We even got in some nice dance moves while walking across the scaffolding! It was some fantastic times, and apparently the entire work site could hear us! We even ended up getting people popping their heads into the room and requesting songs for us to sing. So..somewhere in the 3 hours of our singing and painting, someone took this picture. I don't know if the picture really does it justice, but I am singing my heart out and having the time of my life! Love it!

1 comment:

Esther Atkins said...

hehe..I did forget about that..so thank you imensly for your contribution to our singing escapade :)

especially for.."I will survive.."

(how does that one start? :P)