Saturday, April 09, 2005

What becomes of the brokenhearted...

I spent some time tonight in a bar/restaurant at Parliament and Dundas called My Town. I had joined 614 for their prayer walk, and my group and I headed out to spend some time in prayer and meditation at this particular location. It was definitly an interesting experience. This joint attracks quite the arrange of people...age wise, job wise, and culturally. The walls are covered with flags from different countries, quite a few sombreros, and there are plants hanging down over the bar. The look is quite unique for this part of Regent as it seems that the owners have tried to keep this place a cleaner, safer and brighter establishment then is usually found in this area.

One thing that really hit me was the loneliness of the place. It is a place where the lonely and broken come to sit, and dwell in their circumstances. Someone in my group mentioned that people seem to long to be recognized...to know that someone is noticing them, and their lives have some sort of meaning. So these lonely souls come to sit in a "public" place in the desperate hope that someone might notice their existence...that their empty lives might actually mean something. Even the music that played on the jukebox reflected the emptiness and brokenness that was embodied in those who sat in this place.

After leaving My Town and heading back to our starting point, we prayed continuously for the place that we just left. I found myself getting emotional as I asked God to be there for these lonely souls. That even if they've never experienced God in any way, that He would sit with them...that He would hold their hands...that He would stare back into those empty lives and go straight deep into the very broken hearts of who they are. We asked God's presence to be in and all around My Town as we made an effort in Jesus' name to take back this location for Him...that this would be another broken dark corner that God would reach His beautiful and incredible everlasting light into and rescue those in the bondage of loneliness.

This night has really caused me to reflect on myself. Earlier today I had thoughts of loneliness cross my mind...those are gone now as I realize how wrong I have been. Not only am I surrounded by a lot of family and people who are a constant support...I have God. Even in my most lonely moments, when I thought that no one understood, and I cried out to God for his love and strength...at least I knew I had the Lord. I can honestly not even picture the pain and hurt that would bury itself deep in my soul and scar my heart if I did not have the love of Christ in me...if I did not know that no matter what comes along, I will never be completely alone because I have God on my side.

I pray that God will reach those who sit, even now, in My Town and other establishments with their drinks sitting in front of them as their only comfort...as they wait desperately and bitterly to be recognized..to feel that their life means something to someone...anyone.

Lord use me to be a light for You..may I be a "Jesus person" in places that don't know Your name..

Be Blessed

No comments: