Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Christmas addition to the family

We finally picked a day that the whole family was free and got out to the Hortons Magic Hill Tree Farm, for some annual cutting down of our Christmas Tree this past Sunday.

After a hayride out to the trees, and spending a lot of time debating, walking around, and deciding what it was we were looking for in a tree that year...we finally found our guy. We have a crazy tradition that goes along with going up to Magic Hill Tree Farm...and that is naming our tree. We pretty much never remember what the name was of the previous year, mostly because it ends up being long, complicated and just ridiculous...but it just always seems to complete our Christmas to name our tree.

So here is the picture with Edgar Bubbles Ruby Halsey (or "Bubs" as the kids on the street like to call him.)


And tonight we made sure everyone could be home at 8:30pm sharp to decorate dear old Edgar, as we're not allowed to put our decorations up without everyone being present. It's another tradition that my mom makes us all a decoration each Christmas to add to our tree, as we still only decorate with either home-made or sentimental decorations. This year I got a pretty green, red-headed fairy ornament to put on the tree.

Isn't he pretty?


Today I had to say goodbye to Gareth and Kirstin who are on their way back to Ireland...and I had my last Wednesday night squad and had to say goodbye to a lot of kids after breaking the news that I would be leaving for a year after Christmas. So, it has been a bit of a sad day as I just take another step in realizing how soon I leave.

But, despite that...I am starting to feel a bit more in the Christmas spirit as our dear tree is up and decorated...we spent about an hour listening to our classic cd of Mariah Carey's Christmas tunes...we drank some warm apple cider...and I got my first Christmas present tonight. I guess I can't really keep post poning feeling in the season..because it's going to come either way. Might as well enjoy all the moments as they happen over the next two weeks instead of being in denial about them.

Blessings.

6 comments:

jill said...

YAY! Happy Christmas. 2 more sleeps until I get to see mine.

Have a stellar day! Miss you lots!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, isn't our christmas tree wonderful!! Just a little backround on the name...Bubbles is supposed to be Buble as in Micheal Buble.

Anonymous said...

Ahh esther!! I'm going to miss your guts! But I'll be here. Oh, I'll be here.

Spoil you rotten until you leave? That's the plan!

Esther Atkins said...

Well I'm definitely not the kind that puts chicken strips in glasses of water...

Anonymous said...

The Whole Tree tradition is fantastic!
Love the before and after pictures too.
Will be in touch again soon... Have a Sweet Christmas!
Love ya!
Kirsten (Gareth says Hey too!)

Anonymous said...

you try explaining to people that no my children aren't insane they just happen to give their christmas tree a name. A gendre first and then a name. Not just any name and not just one name. First, middle, sometimes third and then proudly HALSEY.

Noooooooooooo no insanity in this family ... not at all .....

Mom