Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Just seven sleeps left...

I've had a whirl wind of a couple days...but it's been stuffed full of good times.

I'm trying to cram in as much hang out time with as many people as I can in the remaining little bit of time that I have in Canada before I head off on my trip.

A few highlights from the past couple of days.

Friday night I had thai food with three high school friends, who I haven't hung out with in ages. We shared a ton of random moments, and caught up on a lot, and finished off the night with cheese cake and ice cream for a belated celebration for Erins 22nd birthday.

Saturday I had my final two squads in Regent Park (for this year anyways) as we had our Christmas parties. I had one of the seven year old girls get really upset with me when I told her I'd be gone for a year, and wouldn't see her at camp this summer. She's been known to be quite a spaz of a child, but I've really been able to bond with her over the past couple of months. My heart melted when she told me I had two options. Either, I quit and come home early from Australia...or I pack her in my suitcase and take her with me. Saying goodbye to my Regent kids has definitely been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Sunday morning at church, I had my final Sunday School class, as we had our Christmas party. I've grown to really love my pre-teens/teens that I've been teaching for the past four months. I always look forward to the fun and energy they bring to my life on Sunday mornings. I pray that God will continue to take care of them and protect them over this next year while I'm away.

During the Sunday morning service at Scarborough, I was surprised by being asked by my pastor to come up to the front of the church so that the congregation could pray for me. I've been feeling extremely blessed by my corps as they've supported me in leaving, and have had a lot of encouraging words spoken to me, as well as a ton of financial support from individuals in my church. God has definitely used my corps in a huge way in preparing me for this trip.

At lunch on Sunday I had a "surprise" going away party thrown for me by my fellow youth at Scarborough, which really meant a lot. Jeff gave me such an awesome going away gift of a sketch pad and drawing materials, and spoke such beautiful words of encouragement to me. I went home with tears in my eyes, feeling really loved, and having to have started my goodbyes with some of my friends.

I spent a crazy afternoon down at 614 helping out with the kids Christmas play. It was absolutly crazy of course, as is any production put on by a mass amount of kids...but was tons of fun. I got to spend a few extra hours hanging out with some more kids from Regent who I'm going to miss hugely when I leave. The play was definitely a success, and everyone was impressed with the random lion, kangaroo-pouched-donkey, and dinosaur we had show up at the manger scene.

Sunday night I had a crazy night of playstation karoke with a bunch of the 614 girlies. I value those girls friendship so much, and love them to pieces. It was a good night of hanging out and good conversations with several people.

Monday night I spent some solid quality time with my better half, Jocelyn. Definitely good to FINALLY meet up and hang out and catch up. We made a mini road trip up to Newmarket to visit the one and only Sam Nolan. Sam...you crazy cat...you rock my world.

When we got there Sam handed me the biggest load of random things wrapped up I've ever received. She even wrapped the card! (The coolest Christmas card ever..with Dinosaurs on it of course!) So I was blessed with receiving...a travel toothbrush and toothpaste...a travel face cloth...travel ear plugs...a fantastic skirt and a bag both made from curtains...a hippee peace teddy bear...and the coolest mixed cd ever made (even if I've never heard of any of the bands..but I'll work on educating myself Cappi!)

One week left today until I board the plane for the longest plane ride of my life. It's getting harder and harder as I'm giving hugs to people for the last time before I go..and I'm trying to repress the realization that this will be the last time I see my loved ones for a very long time.

But, I do have to note one positive thing. When getting ready to leave everyone and everything you're familiar with...you realize how much you're loved, and the support and encouragement that surrounds your life. I can't ever say that I'm not blessed with tons of people who love me.

Praise the Lord for that.

3 comments:

Esther Atkins said...

hahaha

I forgot to mention the sweet scarf you made me too :)

Anonymous said...

you are indeed greatly loved.

you will indeed be missed my darling Hadassah.

I hope Australia is ready for you .......

SHOULD WE WARN THEM???????

love
mom

Anonymous said...

You are going to have an awesome year, its just so wonderful to see youth in our division stepping out of their confort zones to do what God wants of them.

Peace,
Peter