Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Majesty that is BC

Friday night already..the week is flying by.

Thursday I had one of the most beautiful and incredible experiences I've ever had in my life. Di and I got to go whale watching with my uncle David. We went out the Fraser River, onto the Strait of Georgia, and rode on a boat for 5 hours total. The weather was just gorgeous and there was a clear blue sky, so you could see a horizon of mountains in every direction.

We saw loads of bald eagles, perched on rock formations and trees on islands that we passed, as well as flying over head. After an hour or so of riding in the boat, we came across a large group of seals. Normally they are all out on the rocks, just bathing in the sun, but when we went by there was about 30 of them swimming in the water. They completely surrounded the boat, and as we cut off the engines, they curiously swam right up to us seeing what exactly was going on. It was so neat, and just such an incredible feeling to be surrounded by all these little heads bobbing in the water as the seals swam around us.

After a couple hours, we located one of three pods of whales that live in the area. It was so incredible to see them swimming by, in their natural habitat. A highlight for me was hearing them speak. The naturalist on board put a special microphone into the water that was hooked up to our p.a system, so that you could hear the whales communicating with each other. It was so cool. We even had one whale swim directly under our boat, and we could hear him making clicking sounds as we went by. It was so beautiful to be floating in the middle of this endless water, and all you can see in every direction are huge mountains tearing up the horizon, as a half dozen Orca whales swim all around you.

As we drove the hour back to the port, I stood at the back of the boat just basking in the sunshine, and taking in all the incredible landscape that we were passing by. I was (and still am) in just total awe and wonder and what I've seen. God is just so majestic...it's astounding and absolutely mind boggling. He is just such a mighty and great Lord...how people can doubt the wondrous works of an almighty creator is beyond me.

I am having a wonderful time out here, which is always the case whenever I visit. It's great spending time with my younger cousins, and just enjoying the fellowship of all my family out here. And of course, just spending lots of time reflecting and listening to God as I am away from all the hussle and bussle of Toronto. It's been interesting..but God is good, and is and will continue to take care of me. He's also been reminding me of just how much I have to be thankful for. From my incredible family (both in Toronto and out here), to just realizing all the amazing people I have in my life and the great friendships that I am privledged to have. I am blessed beyond anything I deserve to know the people that I do, and to have the love and friendships that are in my life.

Tomorrow a whole bunch of the family is heading down to White Rock for the afternoon, so that should be another wonderful day spent in this beautiful BC weather. Only four more days and then it's off to my second home, Saskatchewan.

Blessings!

No comments: